Friday, October 11, 2013

Bologna and the Love of Old Things

I've always had a fascination with all things old. As a kid, I briefly considered being an archeologist. I thought it would be exhilarating to unearth old things and discover hidden histories. The past is alluring to me, not because I think life would have been better in some romanticized "back then," but because there's comfort in continuity.

In Bologna, the past is very much alive. It's there in the architecture and in the traditional foods, a part of everyday life. As I mentioned in my last post, Bologna is home to the oldest university in the world, which was founded in the late eleventh century. Two medieval towers also showcase Bologna's past, standing tall in the city center. The taller of the two is open to visitors.

Torre Asinelli
Climbing the well-worn steps of Torre Asinelli
498 steps later (old things don't have elevators)
View of the old city from Torre Asinelli
Alongside the centuries-old buildings are smaller signs of age. Here are a few old things I stumbled upon while wandering the city streets.

Not especially old for Bologna standards
Rusty intercom system
This pharmacy opened its doors in 1814
Classic doorknob (for entering scary, mysterious places)
For more pictures of my trip to Bologna, visit my photo gallery.

Receive new posts in your inbox by subscribing via email below:


Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment