Monday, March 25, 2013

A Stroll Through Evora

Portugal is known for its many charming towns, so my friends and I were determined to visit a couple during our visit. Evora was a priority. Like Sintra, it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site and an easy day trip from Lisbon. As soon as we arrived, we popped into the tourist office for a map of recommended sites, but we quickly realized that our time would be best spent by roaming around the town without much forethought. More than 2,000 years old, Evora feels like a walking history lesson. Beats the classroom, and this coming from a self-professed nerd who always sits at the front of the class.

The Catholic Church left its mark in the Middle Ages.







If pagan architecture is more your speed, Evora boasts a 1st-century Roman temple in the Corinthian style.




While I loved visiting the historic sites, it was present-day Evora -- the locals on bicycles, the cork purses displayed on a pedestrian street, the colorful laundry hanging out to dry -- that left the most lasting impression. When I travel, it's often the little things that stay with me.







For more pictures of my day trip to Evora, visit my photo gallery.

Receive new posts in your inbox by subscribing via email below:


Delivered by FeedBurner

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled upon your page while doing a little blog surfing and I just had to say how much I love your photos. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete